Animated explainer videos can be the key to unlocking your brand’s potential. But, like any masterpiece, they require the right blend of creativity and structure to be truly impactful. So, how do you find the perfect length for your animated masterpiece? That’s exactly what we’re going to discuss here, so buckle up, grab a pen and paper, and let’s get started!
An animated explainer video should be long enough to effectively convey the message and short enough so it doesn’t become tedious to watch.
- How long should an animated explainer video be?
In short – “Generally speaking, the ideal duration for an animated explainer video that yields maximum engagement and results is typically between 60 to 90 seconds.“
Animated Explainer Video Length: Does It Matter?
As soon as users click the play button, the audience tends to check the duration of the video. This behavior can be attributed to subconscious navigation influenced by psychological factors. Hence, the first few seconds of your video are crucial to creating interest in your audience. An animated explainer video can be called successful and effective when it can keep the audience engaged throughout the video.
There has been a study conducted by Wistia, that states the interesting correlations between video length and engagement. The study analyzed 564,710 videos with over 1.3 billion collective plays and found that the ideal length for a video is around 2 minutes. Thereby, shorter videos are considered more effective and engaging than longer videos. Shorter videos tend to be concise and to the point which gives the audience what they want.
Factors To Consider For Animated Explainer Video Length
There’s no denying that attention spans have become increasingly shorter in today’s fast-paced world. While short animated explainer videos have gained immense popularity among viewers, there are several factors to consider while determining the duration of the video. So, before you hit that record button, take a step back and consider all the factors that can impact the ideal length of your animated explainer video.
1. Purpose of The Video
What purpose is your animated explainer video serving? Those days are gone when animated explainer videos were only used to introduce a new product or service or to provide a brief overview of a topic. The use of animated explainer videos has evolved and expanded to serve a range of purposes that includes introducing a new product to conveying your brand image to the audience.
The length of the explainer video should be appropriate for the specific goals and objectives of the video. So, the appropriate length of an animated explainer video may differ based on the purpose it serves, such as whether promoting a brand or product, providing step-by-step instructions, creating brand awareness, or something else.
2. Product Complexity
Have you ever wondered how challenging it is to create an effective animated explainer video for a complex product like SAAS product? Unlike simpler products like shoes, bags, or makeup which can be explained with ease, complex SAAS products require a more detailed explanation of their key features, benefits, and operational processes. Crafting a script that effectively communicates all of this information within a 30-second video can be quite challenging.
So, the length of the video ultimately depends on the complexity of the product you’re trying to explain to your audience. While a shorter video might be suitable for simpler products, a more in-depth and detailed video may be necessary to effectively communicate the unique features and benefits of your SAAS product.
3. Target Audience
When adjusting the length of your animated explainer video, keep in mind the preferences and behavior of the target audience. For example, if the target audience is known for having a short attention span, creating a shorter, more concise video might be more effective in keeping their attention and delivering the desired message. On the other hand, if the target audience prefers more detailed information, a longer video might be necessary to effectively convey the information. It’s all about what your audience wants.
4. Social Media Platform
The length of your animated explainer video is also influenced by the platform where you plan to share it. Different social media platforms have varying video length restrictions, and their audiences have different attention spans. For instance, shorter videos are more popular on TikTok, while longer videos are preferred on YouTube.
- Facebook: Best-performing videos on Facebook range from 30-90 seconds, but engaging and relevant longer videos of 20 minutes can also perform well.
- Instagram: Instagram videos can be up to 60 seconds long for feed posts, while IGTV videos can be up to 10 minutes. However, shorter videos with 15 seconds or less length tend to perform better on the platform. Instagram stories are designed for short, bite-sized content with a time limit of 15 seconds.
- Twitter: To maximize your Twitter videos, it’s best to create short and snappy content that gets straight to the point. Videos should be around 30 seconds or less, as Twitter users have shorter attention spans.
- YouTube: YouTube videos can be longer than other platforms, but the ideal length depends on the type of content. Tutorials or how-to videos can be 5-10 minutes long, while promotional teasers should be shorter, around 1-2 minutes.
- LinkedIn: For LinkedIn, keep your video ads under 30 seconds and focus on the first 3-5 seconds. Upper-funnel marketing videos should be 30-90 seconds, while longer videos can be used for brand or product stories.
5. Animation Style
There are different types of animation that you can incorporate into your explainer video. And each animation style plays a significant role in determining the length of an animated explainer video. Below are some of the most common animation styles along with their recommended video length.
- Whiteboard Animation: These animated explainer videos tend to be relatively long in length. They typically range from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, containing simple to moderate graphics.
- 3D Animation: Although 3D animated videos can be time-consuming to produce due to their complexity, they can range from 30 seconds to 120 seconds or longer in length.
- Line Graphics: These videos are less complex, with a length of 15 seconds to a few minutes.
- Motion graphics: These videos are the most complex, with a length ranging from 90 to 120 seconds on average, featuring characters and illustrations in motion with a motion-based background illusion.
Differences Between 30, 60, 90 Sec Animated Explainer Videos
The length of your video can make or break its impact, so it’s essential to recognize the distinction between different lengths, like 30, 60, 90 seconds, or longer, that will have different impacts on your audience.
30 Sec Animated Video
30-second animated videos are perfect for quickly capturing a viewer’s attention and delivering a concise message. They work well for promoting a single product or creating brand awareness on social media platforms with limited attention spans. They’re also useful for quick product demos or teasers to pique interest.
60 Sec Animated Video:
A 60-second animated video is the standard length for animated explainer videos, providing ample time to explain a product or service and engage viewers. It’s a versatile option for showcasing features and benefits, addressing target audience problems, and promoting product launches.
90 Sec Animated Video:
90-second animated videos are perfect for explaining complex concepts or processes, offering enough time to provide a detailed explanation of a product or service’s benefits. They are best suited for businesses that have intricate offerings or want to take a more detailed approach to explain their products or services.
Videos longer than 90 seconds offer a more comprehensive overview of a product or service or explain complex concepts or processes. Longer videos can be broken up into shorter segments for effective use in a larger video series or as standalone videos.
What Is The Best Length For An Animated Explainer Video?
The truth is there may not be just a single, universal length for animated explainer videos that can be applied to all situations. As there are multiple factors, discussed above that need to be considered when determining the optimal length of your explainer video. However, after considering the factors we’ve discussed above, it is recommended that you aim for a duration of 60 to 90 seconds for your animated explainer video to achieve the optimal outcome. Whether you’re introducing a new product, explaining a complex concept, or promoting your brand, the key is to focus on delivering a clear and concise message that resonates with your audience.